Me: Tamara, Tammie, Tam... I am a Christian, and I believe the bible from cover to cover. I am a daughter: the only child to Tony and Libbie Cooper. To my angel mom I attribute my creativity and decorating style and to and my dad (who is 73 and doing great) I learned to "never assume" and "a man is only as good as his word". I am wife to a kind man who has taught me the meaning of true love in our since we started dating May 17, 1986 and especially since we wed on October 26, 1991. I am mom-e to three beautiful girls (20, 18 and 15) who are each so incredibly talented. I am a friend, a therapist, a ,reader, a shopper, an occasional cook, a teacher, a laundress, a maid, a taxi driver, an organizing super-star, a planner,a critic and now a blogger! After much consideration over what I should blog about, I decided I couldn't decide! So, here it is... TAM SO RANDOM! My ramblings over this and that and everything in between. Hope you enjoy!

Thursday, October 30, 2014

RaNDoM THouGHT #2

Random Thought of the Day:
To be a mom is to know true love and unrelenting guilt.

Motherhood changed me like I never would have imagined or would have believed years ago. In my experience, there are two feelings that go hand in hand with motherhood.  One I discovered very early as a new mommie.  The other I experience daily, but it wasn't until recently that I've been able to put it into words.

Twenty years ago my first little baby girl was born on a blistery March day.  Two days later, my husband carefully buckled our little bundle in the backseat beside me.  As he drove us home and I looked down at the most perfect little person in the world, I had a revelation that probably most new mother's can relate to.  Tears began to roll down my face as I realized that life was never going to be the same because I LOVED this little creation so totally and completely with an overwhelming kind of love... I was never going to be the same.  The feeling of love was like nothing I had felt before.  It wasn't like being "in love".  It was like being consumed by a love of such intensity that it literally frightened me.  I created life, and I was a new creation!

Now, for the second most common feeling that comes with being a mother... GUILT.  Guilt is an emotion and is both a cognitive and emotional experience.  It occurs when a person realizes or believes -accurately or not- that he has compromised his own standards of conduct or violated a moral standard, and bears significant responsibility for that violation.  Our first week home with our little one guilt introduced himself to me in a big way.  I felt him when I wasn't holding K, when she wouldn't breastfeed, when I gave her a pacifier and resorted to a swing to calm her, when I fell asleep from total exhaustion, and when she cried.  When I had to return to work 5 months after she was born I condemned myself for having to leave her and go to work.  Over the years and two more girls added to our happy little family guilt and I have become quite close.  When I went into labor with our 2nd baby, I hugged our almost 2 year old and felt unbelievably guilty for having another baby!  Guilt has come knocking at my door so many times over the years... when we left our girls for a date night, when I got sick, when I didn't have food in the house they wanted, when I couldn't get for them what they wanted, when I let them cry in their crib, when someone else was ugly to them... the list goes on and on and on.  I've homeschooled for 9 years and I feel guilty for doing that sometimes.  I feel guilty for working part-time.  I feel guilty for not making home-cooked meals often.  I feel guilty for not being everything (or at least be able to provide everything) my girls need every moment of every day.

But then I go back to LOVE and God reminds me that I'm not perfect but I am loved perfectly.  He trusted me with these girls.  He graciously lent them to my husband and I fully knowing we would make mistakes but also knowing that we would LOVE them, not with a perfect love but a human one that is as close to knowing the love that God holds for each of us... His children.  I thank God for showing me a small glimpse of what he feels for me.  I ask him to help me with those feeling of guilt and shame because I know that I am a forgiven, alive and blessed beyond measure mother.

I wonder if "Carolina" the horse feels guilty for going to work?



No comments:

Post a Comment